425 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10022
Tel: 1-212-754-9400 ext. 423
Janice B. Grubin Partner
Ms. Grubin is a member of the Firm’s Corporate Restructuring, Bankruptcy and Creditor Rights Group with experience in a wide range of insolvency litigation and transactional matters in multiple jurisdictions. Her practice focuses on the representation of debtors, creditors, trustees and official and unofficial committees in voluntary and involuntary bankruptcy proceedings and corporate restructurings in profit and not-for-profit sectors.
Ms. Grubin has been involved in cases of national significance in a variety of debtor and creditor representations, includingMF Global, Patriot Coal Company, Chemtura Corporation, Delphi Corp., Quebecor World (USA), Inc., Dan River Holdings, LLC, Fortunoff’s, Enron Corp., The Singer Company N.V., Keene Corporation, Public Service Company of New Hampshire, Zale’s, R.H. Macy’s & Co., Inc., Merry-Go-Round Enterprises and Adelphia Communications Corporation. Additionally, Ms. Grubin obtained the dismissal with prejudice of a $10.5 million preference lawsuit, advised a holding company of ultra-high end hotel properties in its wind-down and is assisting a rural hospital and nursing home in a restructuring under the New York not-for-profit laws.
Ms. Grubin has also been appointed and elected as trustee and examiner in several notable cases pending in the United States Bankruptcy Courts for the Southern, Eastern and Northern Districts of New York:
- As chapter 11 trustee, operating 23 Dunkin’ Donuts stores and a bakery in the New York metropolitan area while conducting six asset sales generating $21 million over 3 years, commencing avoidance, insider and purchaser litigation, negotiating and securing Bankruptcy Court approval of 33 settlements, obtaining and collecting a $9 million judgment against a proposed buyer, after a trial on liability and extensive damage proceedings, and proposed a liquidating plan with 70 percent payout to unsecured creditors affirmed by the Second Circuit.
- As chapter 11 trustee, managing, rehabilitating and marketing 3 rent-stabilized apartment buildings in Brooklyn, New York which led to a private sale netting an aggregate price 20% in excess of appraised values and a 100% payout to unsecured creditors under a confirmed liquidating plan.
- Elected as chapter 7 trustee in an Albany, New York based not-for-profit research facility, involving intellectual property assets and prosecuting estate claims against former officers and directors.
- Within one year of appointment as chapter 11 trustee of a gourmet supermarket located in downtown New York City, sold assets and confirmed a liquidating plan.
Ms. Grubin is the former co-chair of the ABI’s Mass Torts Task Force and a former member of the Advisory Group on Gender and Bankruptcy Law to the Working Committee of the Second Circuit Task Force on Gender, Racial and Ethnic Fairness in the Courts. She has lectured for the American Bankruptcy Institute, New York State Bar Association and Ram/Beard Group Conference on Corporate Reorganization and has been published on a number of bankruptcy-related issues.
Ms. Grubin served as the law clerk to Bankruptcy Judge Stephen D. Gerling from 1987 to 1989. In the Spring of 2010, she served as LeGal’s representative on the Independent Screening Panel for the New York Democratic Committee in relation to 6 Civil Court judicial openings.
- New York State
- Connecticut State
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- United States District Courts for the Southern, Eastern, Western and Northern Districts of New York and the District of Connecticut
- Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, J.D.
- Reed College, B.A.
- American Bar Association (Business Law Section)
- American Bankruptcy Institute (Ethics and Real Estate Sections; Volo editor)
- International Women’s Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation
- New York State Bar Association (Business Law Section, Bankruptcy Law Committee)
- The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Law Association of Greater New York (Member, Board of Directors, Chair, Judiciary Committee, Partners Group).
- International Women’s Insolvency & Restructuring Confederation (Member, NY Network Board, Co-substantive program director)